Wednesday, November 11, 2009

September & October Reading

Because I know how much you all appreciate having the most awesome posts obstructed by worthless mementos of my reading habits, here's what I read in September and October.

September:

The Reformed Pastor - Richard Baxter (for class)
Reformed, as in, changed for the better. If you're a pastor or an elder, training to be one, or thinking about becoming one, you should read this book. And then reread it. You know, like... once a year or so. It's a tough read (a little archaic) but well worth it. I say, (from my vast experience, of course), this is the single most important read for any pastor, anywhere. I say that without hesitation, without equivocation, and without doubt.

2000 Years of Christ's Power (Vol. 1) - N.R. Needham (for class)
Big volume. Whirlwind tour of the early church. Easy read. Very helpful. I especially appreciated the extended excerpts from pertinent primary sources (key works of church fathers, for example) at the end of each chapter. That was wonderful. I only wish he footnoted more extensively within the chapters.

Orthodoxy - G.K. Chesterton (for fun)
An absolute blast. Chesterton is loads of fun and is absolutely hilarious. He's a Roman Catholic, so you have to get over his distaste for, you know, BIBLICAL DOCTRINE, but looking past all of that, there's hardly anyone from the 20th century that's more worthy of your attention. Absolutely brilliant.

Living the Cross-Centered Life - C.J. Mahaney (for the discipleship group I teach)
It's okay. I wish there was something better, but it's definitely a helpful. Recommended as a tool to use with high school students, some college students, and most new believers that need a good foundational understanding of applying the gospel to their lives.

October:

Lectures to My Students - C.H. Spurgeon (for class)
Spurgeon is a hero. I don't know that any dead man feeds my soul, equips me for my work as a college minister, and spurs me on to faithfulness than this guy. I heartily recommend this book to anyone involved in ministry. Because of this book, I'll likely always have some piece of work by Spurgeon I'm chewing on.

Persecution in the Early Church - Herbert Workman (for class)
Heart-rending. Stunning. Convicting. I'd call it a must-read, but I've already done that 3 times so far.

God's Ultimate Purpose - Martyn Lloyd-Jones (for the Fold)
Lloyd-Jones' sermons on Ephesians 1. Read, skimmed, and referenced as I was preaching through Eph. 1 at our weekly meeting. Very helpful.

God's Way of Reconciliation - Martyn Lloyd-Jones (for the Fold)
Lloyd-Jones' sermons on Ephesians 2. See above.

There are other books I've been reading for class and for fun through September and October, but I'll comment on them in the months I finish them.

No comments: