Tuesday, May 11, 2010

March/April Reading

Here are the books I read during the months of March and April. March only seems thin. I didn't read a million books in April. I just finished them all in April. Almost everything below is work accomplished for the ClearNote Pastors College. Which, by the way, I have now completed. Which, by the way, means I am now done with school. Forever. Awesome, huh?


March


The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle (for fun)

Good fun, some memorable stories. It was fun getting acquainted with a great fictional character, but I'm done with Holmes for awhile. On to other things.


Tell the Truth - Will Metzger (for d-group)

This book is not profound, but it is helpful. It is written by an Intervarsity staff worker who is trying to undo the damage of jank evangelism methods that present a truncated gospel in a way that lies about the nature of Jesus' saving work. To that end, the book is good and I commend it to anyone looking to be faithful in personal evangelism. However, the major failure of the book is that it fails to have any understanding of the relationship of the Church or Christian community in evangelism and discipleship.


Revival and Revivalism - Iain Murray (for class)

Awesome. Eye-opening. This book is essential reading for every one who needs to understand why American Christianity is what it is today. It starts by tracing the revivals of the late 18th century up through the revivalism of the mid to late 1800s. Note the key distinction in terms.


April


Tell the Truth - Will Metzger (for class)

Yes, I read this twice for two different purposes... See above for notes.


Total Church - Tim Chester & Steve Timmis (for class)

Very helpful book. Excellent in tandem with Metzger's book--they're complementary.


Principles of War: A Handbook on Strategic Evangelism - Jim Wilson (for class)

Good fodder for thinking through strategies of reaching the community and the world with the Gospel. Written by an ex-Navy dude--who happens to be the father of Doug Wilson.


Evangelicalism Divided - Iain Murray (for class)

I've said that you should read everything by Iain Murray, and I mean it. This book might be the single most helpful thing I've read by him--a history of evangelicalism from 1950-2000. Tremendous. If you want to understand the contemporary climate of evangelicalism, there is no better book. Very excellent when read after Revival and Revivalism.


The Mortification of Sin - John Owen (for d-group)

This is about the 4th or 5th time I've read this book. Never get tired of it. I'm writing a blog post series on it over here.


The Christian Soldier - Martyn Lloyd-Jones (for study)

Love, love, love, Martyn Lloyd-Jones. Especially after reading Murray's Evangelicalism Divided. Though I did not actually finish this book due to time constraints, it was very helpful as I finished out our series through Ephesians at the Fold.


The Full Armor of God - Martyn Lloyd-Jones (for study)

See my comments above.

No comments: